HMO Consultancy Glasgow

What is a HMO?

A HMO is a property that is shared by three or more tenants who aren’t members of the same family. HMO landlords must have a licence from the local authority in order for them to rent the property as a HMO. This ensures that the property is managed well and meets certain safety standards. A HMO license is separate from the tenancy agreement you have with your tenants.

There are many rules and regulations to follow in order to be granted a HMO License and K Letting can guide you through the whole process to ensure a full 3 year license is issued. There will be visits at the property from the HMO Department as well as the local Fire Department. Both look for continual good property history and this is where we step in. We can arrange to visit the property and advise you on what is required. We can then even arrange quotes from our trusted contractors for the work.

HMO Applications for Licensing

What do K Letting do for you?

HMO Consultancy & Application for HMO License;

  • Initial visit to the property to ensure that the HMO standards are being adhered to and will advise if any further work is required
  • Confirm that the relevant safety certification is in place
  • Complete and lodge the HMO Application with Licensing
  • Liaise with HMO & Fire departments to arrange inspection at the property
  • Inform tenants and arrange pre-inspection
  • Attend official inspection and work with HMO & Fire and resolve any issues raised to ensure a clear report
  • Attend committee meeting to represent landlord and agent


HMO Grant Application Fees to Glasgow City Council – £1,906
HMO Renewal Fee to Glasgow City Council – £953

K Letting Grant Application fee – £475
K Letting Renewal Application Fee – £275

Fire training is mandatory for tenants and consists of;

  • Smoke alarm testing and logging
  • What to do in the event of a fire
  • How to vacate safely in the event of a fire
  • Fire doors and equipment – how do they work and how should they be maintained
  • Electrical and cooking safety
  • General good practice regarding hallways, smoking and candles


There are various compliance certificates that are required quarterly/annually and we can of course help you to arrange these. Some of the certification is listed below;

  • Energy Performance Certificate
  • Landlord Gas Safety Certificate
  • Portable Appliance Test
  • Electrical Installation Condition Report
  • Fire Risk Assessment
  • Fire Fighting Equipment Testing Log
  • Smoke Alarm, Heat and Carbon Monoxide Testing Log
  • Emergency Light Testing Certificate

It is good practice for a landlord to provide a notice board within the property with some fire documents and logging sheets for the tenants. All certification and log sheets should be made available to the HMO Department and the Fire department.


It is generally safe to assume that HMO properties will suffer a little more wear and tear due to the number of people living there. K Letting work with a team of experienced and qualified contractors which allows us to provide good quality work are very reasonable prices.

HMO Tenancies

At K Letting, we move the tenants into the property, we carry out regular inspections throughout the tenancy and we also conduct a throughout move out inspection so that we can monitor the property closely. We want your tenants to enjoy their stay but it is of utmost importance that we help and advise them to live safely.

We take a deposit from the tenants before the tenancy commences and we lodge it with Safe Deposit Scotland. We also carry out a full inventory report of the property and it’s contents. We reference each tenant and guarantor so that we can ensure full rental payments throughout the tenancy.

And best of all? We are on hand for tenants 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year so we can guarantee that both they, and your property will be looked after and managed to the highest standard.